Temporary Tag Information
Become a Web-enabled (WE) Dealer
A WE dealer must report temporary tags electronically through Dealer Licensing Online Services. WE advantages include:
- Purchase temporary tags for $15.00 per tag and sell them for no more than $18.50 per tag; the dealer keeps the $3.50 difference per tag.
- Temporary tag applications are print-on-demand, eliminating the task of writing up each temporary tag sale.
- Temporary tag inventories are available for monitoring, inventory control and research.
- Replacement temporary tag feature recalls information from the originally-issued temporary tag, eliminating re-entering information for the replacement.
NOTE: In order to qualify for the discounted temporary tags price, you must sign up to be a WE dealer through Dealer Licensing Online Services. Orders purchased prior to signing up as a WE dealer will not be granted the discounted price. Temporary off-highway/APV stickers do not qualify for the WE discount. Dealers purchase temporary off- highway/APV stickers for $5.50 each and may not sell them for more than $5.50.
If at any time the dealership chooses to no longer participate as a WE dealer, call the Dealer Licensing Section at (614) 752-7636 for further instruction.
Log in to our online services. Payment is made by using an Electronic Check ONLY. Orders are shipped to the licensed location by a contracted courier within one to three business days. (Signature of receipt required.)
Download the Request for Temporary Tags/Stickers (form BMV 4381) and mail with payment to the address listed on the request form. Please allow two to four weeks for processing. Orders will be shipped to the licensed location by a contracted courier. (Signature of receipt required.)
NOTE: Dealers that have recently moved locations may want to contact the Dealer Licensing Section prior ordering to avoid any delay of shipment. Orders returned undeliverable will be reshipped to the dealership one time ONLY. If the order is returned undeliverable a second time, the dealer MUST pick the order up from the Dealer Licensing Section. If the dealer is unable to be contacted, a refund will be issued.
Instructions for Sale
- The privilege to purchase and issue temporary tags / off-highway stickers by a dealership is granted by the Registrar of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, through R.C. Sections 4503.182 and 4519.10.
- To issue a temporary tag, there must be a legitimate purchase order for a motor vehicle as outlined in the R.C. section 4517.26. The temporary tag may only be issued by the licensed motor vehicle dealer who executed the purchase order and the purchaser does not have license plates that can be legally transferred to the newly-purchased vehicle.
- Dealers are NOT permitted to issue a second temporary tag to any individual. If the situation arises where the tag will expire before a title can be issued, the customer may go to a local Deputy Registrar with the original purchase order and their copy of the first temporary tag registration application to request a hardship temporary tag.
- If two or more dealerships are operating from the same location, make certain that the temporary tag inventories are kept separate at all times. You are NOT permitted to sell, lend, or give your temporary tags or registration applications to another dealer. If this occurs, your privileges of selling temporary tags may be suspended. Each dealer is responsible for tags and applications consigned to their dealership.
- All temporary tags issued (or voided) must be reported by submitting a temporary tag registration application (or Dealer Temporary Tag Void, form BMV 4382) to the Ohio BMV Dealer Licensing Section within 48 hours of issuance or being voided.
- A dealer may issue a replacement temporary tag to the purchaser if they report to the dealer that their tag has been lost or damaged prior to the expiration of the original temporary tag. However, the replacement temporary tag MUST expire on the same expiration date as the original issued temporary tag.
Application Inventory (Non-WE Dealers ONLY)
- Application form BMV 4349 must be completed for each temporary tag sold. It is not necessary to report voided applications. DO NOT pre-print temporary tag numbers on the applications.
- Application numbers are for tracking purposes only and do not directly correspond with the temporary tag number. If an error is made on the application, simply destroy that application and use a new one.
NOTE: Incorrect or incomplete registration applications will be returned to the dealership for completion, and must be corrected within 48 hours. Continuous corrections may result in the suspension of your temporary tag privileges.
Temporary Tag Inventory (All Dealers)
Please maintain at least a one-month supply of tags.
- All temporary tag inventories will be valid for only three years from date of consignment. Temporary tags not reported or unused within the three years will be deleted from the dealer system and NO refunds will be issued. Each order invoice will have reminder language.
- For auditing purposes, temporary tags must be issued in numerical order.
- WE dealers will see the auto delete date next to each inventory online. Each individual inventory will show the total number of temporary tags unreported and the total number temporary tags reported to assist in inventory control.
- Allow a full 45 days from the date of issuance (day number one), and adjusting for 28 and 31 day months. DO NOT pre-write on temporary tags prior to issuance; they will be considered as used and a refund will not be granted.
- Complete the temporary tag by using a thick, black waterproof marker. The expiration date MUST fill the entire box. All boxes must be completed and holes punched to be valid.
- Dealers are NOT permitted to charge more than $18.50 per temporary tag and NOT more than $5.50 per off-highway / APV sticker.
- Records must be maintained and easily accessible for a period of three years, as required by Ohio Administrative Code 4501:1-3-04.
- For your convenience there is a Temporary Tag Log Sheet (form BMV 4428) to assist in inventory control, or you may develop one your own.